This week has been an eye-opener for me. I decided to start reading a novel in the same genre as my new series (YA fantasy) and this has helped me realise that a lot of work needs to be done on the first book. So much so that I am seriously considering a complete rewrite and restructure.
Let me stress I do not make decisions lightly. When I was writing Heartbound, and received an offer, I had to consider whether or not I could afford the £2 500 that was being asked of me. Of course, being a student, money is tight and I simply did not have that sort of money. Upsetting though it was, I had to decline the offer though I feel this was a silver lining; I firmly believe that Heartbound would not have done as well as it has if I'd accepted that offer. Deciding to completely rewrite a novel is not a decision I will rush, especially as it is already around 40 000 words long!
Aside from my new work, I have some good news to bring you. Following its success on Kindle, Heartbound will soon be available in paperback! On Tuesday (24 February), I began formatting my debut novel for the paperback market and I've already begun liaising with a bookshop near to where I am studying. Keep watching this space!
All in all, I've had better writing weeks. However, armed with new knowledge and ideas, I hope that next week will be a better story.